[topicmapmail] TMRA 2008 and the Topic Maps community

Steve Newcomb srn at coolheads.com
Mon Nov 3 11:04:54 EST 2008

Regarding topicmaps.org, here is some relevant history, concluding with
present status.

At the urging of Steve Pepper, me, and several others, Michel Biezunski
(who operates this list, by the way) generously donated the
topicmaps.org domain name to Standards Council of Canada (the Canadian
national body of ISO) during its tenure as SC34 Secretariat. If you do a
whois, you will see that they still own it; it has not been transferred
to the new secretariat in Korea yet.

It's one thing to own a domain name, and it's another thing to assume
authority and responsibility for it. In fact, nobody has changed the DNS
for topicmaps.org since Michel donated it. Again, if you do a whois, you
will see that the DNS is xname.org. What you may not know is that it's
*my* account at xname.org that controls which server has the
topicmaps.org website. This is because, years ago, I assumed
responsibility for making sure that there was a topicmaps.org website
when OASIS stopped providing web service for the site. (In fact, it was
offline for some unknown length of time before anybody even noticed that
there was a problem.) So, to this very day, topicmaps.org runs on my
company's webserver (as does this list, by the way). This is a very
light burden, we hardly notice it, I'm not complaining about it, and it
is not necessary that we be relieved any time soon. On the other hand,
this is an administratively messy situation that I think the Korean
national body should think about. Maybe that's what Patrick is working on.

I very much sympathize with Alexander Johannesen's frustrations (hello,
Alexander, and regrets I could not be in Leipzig this year!).